venerdì 12 ottobre 2012

U Carrettieri Sicilianu


CARRETTIERI
Calatu è già lu suli intra lu mari
Si stancu vestia mia, iu puru tantu
Li roti chianu chianu fa girari
A casa tu mi porti ed iu ti cantu
Lu suli è naspressatu tuttu u jornu
Lu pruvulazzu quarnaravava ‘ntornu
Scattare là ‘a paglia e lu me pani
E avemu a cuminciari arré dumani

THE CART-DRIVER
(In this song, the cart-driver is singing to his donkey, who is pulling the cart.) 
The sun has already set on the sea.
You're tired, my beast, and so am I.
You make the wheels turn slowly, slowly.
You bring me home, and I sing to you.
The sun is scorching all day long.
The dust swirls all around.
Hauling straw is how I earn my bread.
And we have to start over again tomorrow.
And we have to start over again tomorrow.

"Carrettieri" (from "Four Sicilian Miniatures")
Composed by Alfonso Gibilaro (1888-1957)
Sung by Beniamino Gigli (1890-1957)
Recorded 15 February 1949 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento