venerdì 22 febbraio 2013

Spaghetti with tuna and fennel


Here is a wonderful dish for a Friday in Lent.

I am absolutely crazy about fennel, which I eat raw like a fruit, and at any moment of the day.  (While others put a banana or apple in their packed lunch, I put a bulb of fennel.  I suspect that I am the only person in the United States who does so!)


Ingredients

1 lb spaghetti
extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, whole
1/2 bulb of fennel (the core, stalks, and fronds removed), cut in little pieces
8 oz. dry white wine
juice of 1/2 lemon
fresh oregano
5 oz. Italian tuna (The Genova brand is found in most supermarkets.  Carli and Flott are even better, but they're harder to find here.)
salt
freshly-ground pepper
Preparation

Heat the pan, add the oil, and fry the fennel, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes.  Add the wine, lemon juice, and oregano.  (I didn't have oregano, for my garden is still under the snow! Instead I used a pinch of dry Herbes de Provence.) Boil for 5 minutes. (The fennel will be somewhat soft but still al dente.  It will become almost marinated by the wine and lemon juice.  Stupendous!)

Shut the heat, add the tuna, mix, and buon appetito.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento