domenica 2 giugno 2013

Roasted fennel!


I adore fennel!  I eat it raw the way others eat fruit.  This evening I made roasted fennel for the first time in my life.  You can't imagine something more delicious, be it as an appetizer or as a side dish.  The first but not the last time I will make this!  Prepare yourselves for a delicacy!

Ingredients

2 bulbs of fennel, the stalks removed but the core intact, each bulb cut in 8 wedges, a part of the core in each wedge
extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
sea salt
freshly-ground black pepper
Kalamata olives (with the pits)
2 tufts of fresh mint (I used spearmint)

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 425º.  In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the olives and the mint.  Arrange  on a cookie sheet.  (You don't need to grease it, because the fennel is already coated with oil.)  Roast for 15 minutes.  Turn them with tongs.  Roast for 10 minutes.  Add the olives.  Roast for 5 more minutes.  (The cooking time is 30 minutes all together.)  With a spatula transfer to a platter, add the mint, and Buon Appetito!

2 commenti:

  1. I'm with you, Leonardo. Fennel is my favorite 'fruit' for dessert! It really cleanses the palate. Cooking it really gives it another character altogether, more mellow and savory. I usually braise fennel, but I can imagine that roasting (or grilling) must produce delicious results as well!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Yes! The roasting/grilling process causes the sugars to carmelize, creating a wonderful sweetness! That's why I didn't add any herbs, just the spearmint at the very end. I didn't want to spoil the incomparable flavor of the fennel. I also, like you, adore fennel braised. I've never braised it directly, but when I'm using it in a pasta dish, and I cut it in pieces, add it to the skillet, and add liquid like stock or white wine, the fennel takes in the delicious liquid yet remains firm. Every bite is a joy!

      Elimina