giovedì 25 febbraio 2016

BUON COMPLEANNO, ENRICO CARUSO!

BUON 143° COMPLEANNO,
ENRICO CARUSO!

Per festeggiare, ecco una registrazione che il Più Grande Tenore del Mondo fece esattamente 100 anni e 2 giorni fa: “Ah, la paterna mano” da Macbeth di Giuseppe Verdi.


   HAPPY 143rd BIRTHDAY,
ENRICO CARUSO!

To celebrate, here is a recording that the World's Greatest Tenor made exactly 100 years and 2 days ago: "Ah, la paterna mano" from Giuseppe Verdi's Macbeth.

O figli, o figli miei!
Da quel tiranno tutti uccisi voi foste,
e insiem con voi la madre sventurata!
Ah, fra gli artigli di quel tigre
Io lasciai la madre e i figli?

Ah, la paterna mano
non vi fu scudo, o cari,
Dai perfidi sicari
che a morte vi ferir!
E me fuggiasco, occulto
voi chiamavate invano
Coll’ultimo singulto,
coll’ultimo respir.
Ah! trammi al tiranno in faccia,
Signore, e s’ei mi sfugge
Possa a colui le braccia
del tuo perdono aprir.
   Ah, children, my dear children!
You all were killed by that tyrant,
and, together with you, your unfortunate mother!
Ah! in the claws of that tiger
I left my mother and my children?

Ah! The paternal hand
didn't shield you, my dear ones,
from the perfidious assassins
that fatally wounded you!
And I fled, hidden;
you called in vain
with your last sobs,
with your last sighs.
Ah! Bring me face-to-face with that tyrant,
Lord, and if he escapes from me
may you open your
forgiving arms to him.

(English translation: Leonardo Ciampa)

1 commento:

  1. Amazing to think about a 100 year old recording. And so clear, too. Digitally remastered, I take it?

    RispondiElimina